I decided a while ago what my word for 2017 would be… Identity.
Identity to me is made up of a few parts. It isn’t set in stone, it isn’t stagnant, it isn’t binary, it isn’t black and white. Instead, identity is multidimensional, ever changing, public & private, on a spectrum. It asks you to look, stop, reflect & know who you are.
I believe you can lose your identity if you stop pursuing it. It’s something that lives deep inside of you and produces an aura around you; it’s always present. Identity holds the markings of your past and the key to your future. And at its center are your truths.
the fact of being who or what a person or thing is
a close similarity or affinity
In 2017, I want to pursue my identity with passion, not longing. I want to stare my identity down and own it. I want to edit my identity. Curate it.
While pursuing health & happiness in 2016, I was dealt a hand that was hard — so hard I could barely look past my every day for half the year. I had to meet my most basic needs. While doing so, I failed to cultivate a deeper understanding of my identity. I actually lost my identity and didn’t have the strength to search for it. But I fought my way back to a life of health & happiness by the end of 2016, putting me in a great position for 2017.
The Many Dimensions of Identity
I defined some dimensions of identity that I want to focus on in 2017. Each month, as I set goals, I’ll be using these overarching dimensions (and their associated goals) to help guide me.
- Physical- Get back to my pre-divorce weight
- Spiritual- Start a yoga practice
- Sexual- Take boudoir photos
- Familial- Digitize physical mementos
- Local- Join and be active in a club or meet-up group
- Occupational- Get a UX job with growth potential
- Relational- Invest in Brian
- Personal- Journal weekly at a minimum
- Mental- Write about + study bipolar
Donate monthly to a charityDONE
- Financial- Save $5,000 and pay off all my credit cards
- Residential- Have a comfortable guest room
- Emotional- Read a memoir monthly
- Dimensional- Explore a UX problem monthly
- Global- Travel to Europe, Canada and Mexico
These multiple dimensions together form an identity web, which I’ve dubbed my identity galaxy. I’ve created a whole theory around a multidimensional identity galaxy — The Amy Galaxy — and will share about that later this week.
I’m looking forward to curating and owning my identity in 2017! As I have since 2011 (!!!), I’ll continue to share my journey here on this blog.